Monday, 17 September 2012

COLD, the feature film

This blog, quite predictably if you follow my twitter spam, is on the subject of "Cold", my new feature film which I have written and directed alongside my good friends Tom Hopper, Jack Reynor, Rebecca Night and Liam Carney. There are some other exceptional actors joining the cast in some really wicked cameos, like Tony Murphy, Brian Fortune, Micheal Yare, Charlotte Atkinson, it goes on....its very exciting for me :)

The film is a dramatic feature, which follows two English brothers meeting for the first time in 5 years at the unexplained death of their father. They are from a small village in the West of Ireland, where they have a history that is beginning to resurface when they find a girl left dumped in the moors. From then on strange events occur and.....that's all I'm saying. The plot takes some very unexpected twists and turns and I simply can't reveal anything further....



I find myself writing this blog and beginning to ramble a little with the excitement to be honest, as I think about the music from the Evora, and Greg French to come; The Evora are an exceptional group of musicians and their forthcoming album which will feature a lot on this film is truly going to be something to savour, and Greg....well Greg is one of the most talented musicians out there quite simply put. What's really inspiring for me is how we all grew up together, and like with Yare, Brian etc, to put together something which we would only have dreamt about in our teens is really quite cool. That isn't a justifiable reason to make a project, or be enthused by it, but it does help. It becomes a great source of joy through the act of collaboration, and it's what art should be....enjoyable and inspiring.


I wrote an article on crowd funding in the last edition of Phoenix Magazine without actually having any inclination to follow it myself, and yet writing the article really opened my eyes to it, and I think it's one of the great evolutions of social media that this kind of project can happen, that people around the world can communicate and get involved, and it gives me great ideas for the future....And this is what this blog is about, to see if there are people out there who want to get involved in producing a film that could be something really special....

Firstly, (or thirdly, or even fourthly after my inadvertent ramblings), I have to extoll the virtues of Tom. There are only a few actors, a small handfull whom I've worked with that I think will, and should go to the very top, and Tom is one of those. Along with Jack Reynor, the two of them give outstanding performances, genuinely Tom is simply magnificent and it was a pleasure working with him, and with Jack. The same with Rebecca, who is just a beautiful actress, and of course Liam Carney, who is a legend. The thing is that this film has grown and come alive in the manner that cinema should evolve for me; it should be organic, and the scenes and performances should leap off the screen from the page in a manner that is exquisitely exciting. This is why I am so excited about this film, cos these guys are excellent. Yes, I do act in this film, but for me, I just had to be there to react off them, to play off what they were giving me, and it was a pleasure doing that. Some people have asked me about the difficulties in directing the scenes and other actors whilst acting in it myself and my response is what it has always been in this scenario, that if the casting is right and thus the actors are good enough and understand the material, then you just let them play, follow the scenes the way you discussed, and then it, just, is.



The reason that I have put out some feelers for this film via IndieGogo is because so far it has turned out so beautifully, and has such potential that I have decided it is worth it to expose the idea and the footage (in as small a way as possible so as not to give away anything really), because it should really work as film and become something quite marvellous if completed in the right manner. At least that is always the hope with any film, or creative project. So I just hope that people feel the same way, as they have already shown in their generosity (which has been quite outstanding so far, really unexpected).



I guess that this blog may be a little unsubstantial compared to previous incarnations, but I really don't want to give much of the story away, I have tentatively compared it so some wonderful films and referenced exceptional genius film makers such as Paris, Texas and Kieslowski, so i hope it can be favourably looked upon, but the reason being is that they are the benchmarks and the inspiration for what i have wanted to achieve with this film, and story. The story, is explained more succinctly in the indiegogo video below than I will do in writing here late at night, and also watching it with music makes it seem so much more dramatic :)



We had such fun so far, it was tough, doing 17 hour days almost as standard, maybe longer as we had only 9 days to shoot the initial block, and the entire project will only be over 15 days maximum, but when you're working with good people who know what they're doing and believe in the project it just becomes easy....Henry, Barry, Tess, Miles, Alec, Aoiffe, Sue, Steven, and Eimear...

Finally, all the stills that you see are basic screen grabs, at barely 1/8 of the quality, are from the moving footage, and are ungraded, so the potential for how it can look is very visceral I hope...

I hope that the interest is there, and that the perks are exciting enough, there will be a few more up by the time this blog has existed 24 hours, because with the help that we have gotten so far I believe that we can make something truly special. And at the very least, we're gonna have fun trying and give it a damn good go.....

The IndieGogo link and video is here: On YOUTUBE:



And this is the actual IndieGogo page where you can contribute and get involved:



http://www.indiegogo.com/COLDFEATUREFILM?a=1150968



Much love as Scanlan would say,

Cheers

Eoin























5 comments:

  1. As always your eloquence about filmmaking and your delight and absolute joy about your projects begs me simply to say 'Thank you'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can not wait to see this. You have such and insight, no instinct, in directing. You manage to tell an incredible story and tug at a person's heartstrings so they genuinely feel real emotions when watching. The Hunter is marvelous and was a true roller coaster of emotions. Makes me afraid to watch your horror flick when it becomes available over here. Best of luck to you and Tom. Only 4K left to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sincerely want to wish you the best of luck in making all of this a reality. The premise of the film sounds so promising, and it's definitely one I'm looking coward to see. I'm quite glad you've received the amount of support you have, and I hope it brings even greater reward.

    PS: I love that you said twat in the video. You came off really relaxed. And funny, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *forward, not coward. Damn those thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gave a teeny tiny donation today (would have been more if I had it). You have also inspired me to make a start on a project that I have been kicking around in my head for a while, it took a step forward today. So big thanks for that.

    Very best of luck - looking forward to seeing the finished project.

    ReplyDelete