Monday, 5 March 2012

Dreaming For You - Feature Film





This, for me, is a very late release of the film 'Dreaming For You'. It was shot quite a while ago, and after it screened at the Galway Film Fleadh 2009 I never got around to sending it anywhere else or attempting to release it, which is shameful really.

It is a very indie flick, shot by just myself and the fashion photographer Gerry Balfe Smyth whilst we were living together in New York simply because we could and we wanted to make a film. A synopsis of the film is below, but we essentially wanted to make something that showed the beauty and grit of New York counter balanced with the dangerous isolation that can happen with living in such a big city.

It was written in about 6 days, organised and then shot in another 3 weeks, with actors from my then acting class with Nina Murrano, the excellent Kettie Rompre, James Catanzaro, the hip hop artist Seijo Imazaki, and Rekha Luther, alongside Tom Lambertsen who was in the original short of the same name, as you can see from my last blog post. I had planned to have Jordan Adams star in this feature version but he wasn't around and we didn't have time to wait, so I just acted in it and Gerry, ostensibly a fashion stills photographer picked up the video camera for the first time.

It has a beautiful score by the Evora, and specifically Alan Rickard, and also Kevin Whyms as the producer Whymsonics, and it has some wonderful moments.

SYNOPSIS:

A dark and gritty drama set in NYC of a young disillusioned actor who after attempting to kill himself as his relationship falls apart, meets a homeless tramp after a chance meeting on the street. Taking the man home, Adam begins to open up, only to find himself drifting further away from reality as David takes over his life and his anger consumes him. Who is David and what does he really want are questions Adam cannot answer as he falls deeper into a psychological haze...

Download and watch the movie on distrify below if you're interested - just copy the link into your browser.

http://distrify.com/films/1372-dreaming-for-you

Or you can like, comment and watch it on the official facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreaming-For-You/308727819189445?sk=app_203403406338325

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I hate typos and had way to many so I reposted. Sorry. Anyway...

      I am almost at a loss for words. I guess I’ll start with the Cinematography. It was incredible. It captured the reality of the city, any big city and helped to reveal some of the contempt and annoyance we have sometimes. It helped show how all too many times we just walk by and don’t care. You brought the human condition to light.

      As for the movie in it’s entirety; it was extremely moving and utterly gut wrenching at times. I think it’s hard sometimes for people to understand how pain and heartache can swallow up a person to the brink of the insanity. You pulled us through the journey of a man that has lost so profoundly, that it shatters his entire reality. The poem that the homeless man reads is so prolific and touching, it speaks to the soul. When has one of us never felt cheated by life at some point?

      The score tugged at the heart as you followed Adam’s spiral. The interaction between you and Tom Labertson was spot on. Adam’s emotional rollercoaster and David’s dry ineptness play perfectly off each other. The final scene, well, I’m sitting here balling my eyes out. I haven’t been this moved by any movie in a long time. Well done Eoin. You should be very proud of this.

      Delete
  2. Just rented the feature. Had watched the short earlier in the day. Talk about a riveting film, Eoin. The cinematography was phenomenal, the score was spot on as Adam descended into his private hell, and overall, it depicted big city life sadly but truly... sometimes harsh, more often than not, detached even though people are all around, telling a very heart-wrenching story of trying to connect, a tortured soul trying to cope while everything around him falls apart.

    I echo the other comments -- you should be extremely proud of this body of work, Eoin. A thoroughly riveting film. Well done, sir. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a wonderful film and i love it.too bad it took u this long to release it,but nevertheless,i think the timing was perfect.We will continue to expect great things from you,am certain we will not be disappointed.Am a huge fan of urs,and regretably only knew u first in the hit series MERLIN.I realy wished i knew u earlier.All the best,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't watched it yet cause just came back home but I watched the trailer and that was already really amazing cause it really shows New York City the way I felt it when I went there (I have a big thing about "feeling cities". Maybe I'll do something about it somedays...) and walked in the city for hours. That thing about loneliness in the middle of a crowd.

    I just wanted to ask: my internet browser being a b*tch for no reason I can decipher, streaming is a bad solution for me (the image is too large so there's a nasty distortion).
    You said it was possible to download, but even while logged in with my Distrify account it doesn't look available for download-to-own. Is this a setting you can adjust? (I'd understand if you don't want to, though, cause it may be re-updated somewhere else then)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally built up enough courage to watch this. I shy away from gritty in film because I find life is gritty enough. I don't get that sense of catharsis I get from theatre when i see something on film. It more seems to intensify any angst I have. I'm all chick flics to be honest. To give you some context my aunt took her own life and my cousin is schizophrenic, so I did have to seriously think about watching this. However, my children are growing up and I need to try new things and challenge myself more. I am glad I watched this despite it being uncomfortable for me at times. I have learned with your written work that it builds up slowly, and found the same with this. It got better and better and I knew to be patient with the slow burn. It was very beautiful to watch all the way through, stunning visually in fact, but as i say, it takes a while to understand why he is quite so messed up. Luckily for me, my brain is very accepting so the ending was a very tense surprise for me. So thank you. I cant sleep now, so am going to watch octonauts and Justin's house to counter-act all the thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the film about three weeks ago and then again last week. I envy your ability to write anything in 6 days since it's taken me about an hour to figure out how to write a paragraph. Luckily I have a 7 year old co-author who gives good advise. "Start with I liked, there's the I, remember to capitalize it." So, I really liked the fact that it was filmed in black and white, it really captured the noir quality of the film. Watching Adam, seemingly at the lowest point of his life, and then spiraling to a place even lower captured my attention. The final confrontation between Adam and David was a complete surprise, raw and intense. I had to watch for the second time to figure out how I missed it. Seemingly the catalyst to end his sanity, the ending gave me hope for his resurrection instead. It was emotion rather than apathy. Tom Lambertsen was great as David, but I disagreed with your synopsis. You wrote that David takes over Adam's life, but I never saw that. Throughout, he was very innocuous. I hate giving a bad review about anyone, but I had a hard time with Kettie Rompre's character. But, it comes with a plus and a minus. She was extraordinary in her facial and body language. She didn't need words to convey any emotion she had. Every time she spoke though, it was jarring and the word "wrong" popped up in my mind. After watching it twice, I'm still not sure if it was her delivery, the words themselves or a combination of both. Overall, enjoyed my first "indie" film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really must do a blog where you post the poems and ballads that the subway-dude sang. PLEASE?? Pretty please!!!

    ReplyDelete